You are invited to participate in an exciting opportunity to participate at HPA’s, AVID Student Speaker Contest, Thursday, January 11th, 2018, 3:30-4:15, and enter the national AVID Student Speaker contest with a possible prize of $500 and an all-expense paid trip for you and a chaperone to the AVID Summer Institute in San Diego. Our local contest will also include 3 cash prizes for the first, second, and third place winners.
How has AVID changed the way you learn and the way your teachers teach? – And how has this changed your vision of your future?
• Student Speakers can be current AVID Elective students, students who attend a school where AVID is implemented across the campus, or AVID alums.
• All speeches must be submitted as a Word document, uploaded along with the Student Speaker Application. The submission process will be handled by the teachers.
• Speeches should be approximately 500-800 words long and no more than 5-7 minutes long when presented.
• We encourage you to incorporate the 2017 Summer Institute theme (Discover, Engage, Succeed) AVID’s mission statement, or the tagline (Proven Achievement, Lifelong Advantage.).
• We encourage you to participate in the writing workshops and practice days set up by Mr. Harrison and Ms. Talmadge. Remember your audience when writing. Attendees are teachers, principals, counselors, school board members and government officials. Many are new to AVID and some are more experienced. Either way your job is to Inspire them.
Practice days are Wednesdays, December 13th, and 20th, 3:30-4:15, and Monday, January 8th, 3:30-4:15. The contest will be Thursday, January 11th 3:30-4:30. All dates in Ms. Talmadge’s room. The contest may have a different venue, depending on the level of participation.
Show your love of AVID, HPA, and the learning opportunities made possible for you.
Sincerely, your AVID Speech Team,
Mr. Harrison and Ms. Talmadge